Considering the possibility of placing a child for adoption can bring up many complex emotions. All-Options can help you explore your questions and feelings about adoption, and find organizations that will support you in learning if adoption is a good path for you. If you have already had an experience with adoption – whether as a birth/first parent, an adopted person, an adoptive parent, or all of the above – we are here to listen and support you in whatever ways you need. Call our All-Options Talkline toll-free at 1-888-493-0092.
When someone is considering adoption, All-Options may refer to select nonprofit adoption agencies and placement organizations (download PDF here). To the best of our knowledge, these organizations all meet the following standards:
- They support pregnant people in all options including abortion and parenting
- They are committed to arranging and supporting fully open adoptions (while level of contact and openness may vary by specific situation, the agency does not arrange closed adoptions where no future information or contact is possible); here is a good resource on open adoption (PDF).
- They do not discriminate against single parents or same sex couples as prospective adoptive families.
We refer to:
- Adoption Connection (office in CA; pregnant people in any state): http://www.adoptionconnection.org
- Adoptions Together (serving DC, MD & VA): http://www.adoptionstogether.org
- Open Adoption & Family Services (offices in OR & WA; pregnant people in any state): http://www.openadopt.org/
- Choice Network Adoptions (offices in OH and clinic partners in many states): https://choicenetworkadoptions.com
- Friends in Adoption (offices in NY & VT): http://www.friendsinadoption.org
- Pact: An Adoption Alliance (office in CA but will work with pregnant people in all states): http://www.pactadopt.org/
Adoption Education & Support
- Birthmom Buds is an organization and website that provides peer counseling, support, encouragement, and friendship to pregnant women considering adoption as well as women who have already placed children for adoption.
- The Donaldson Adoption Institute’s mission is to provide leadership that improves laws, policies and practices – through sound research, education and advocacy – in order to better the lives of everyone touched by adoption.
- Open Adoption Support is an online community and message board serving first parents, adoptive families, and adopted people, with a commitment to the belief that children deserve connection to their other family and openness – in word, in deed, and in relationships – is a good thing.
- Birth Mother, First Mother Forum (http://www.firstmotherforum.com)
- Musings of the Lame (http://www.musingsofthelame.com)
- Lost Daughters (http://www.thelostdaughters.com)
- The Declassified Adoptee (http://www.declassifiedadoptee.com)
- Production, Not Reproduction (http://www.productionnotreproduction.com)
- Monika’s Musings (http://www.musingmonika.com)